How to Pick
To pick a ripe honeydew melon, look for a creamy yellow skin and one that is heavy for its size. It should also have a waxy or almost velvety surface and free of any bumps or bruises.
How to Store
If you pick an unripe melon, hasten the ripening process by putting it in a paper bag at room temperature for a few days. Ripe melons should be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 5 days. Try not to wash and slice the melon before you are ready to eat it, since it will go bad faster once it is exposed to oxygen. Keep sliced melon in the fridge.
How to Prepare
Cut the melon and scoop out the flesh with a melon scoop or just chop it up using the instructional video below. You can toast the seeds, mash the flesh for babies, or use the melon flesh in the recipes below for snacks, desserts, or drinks!
Healthy Honeydew Melon Recipes
There are various recipes that include healthy honeydew melon and no matter which one you end up making, you will enjoy the dish. If you don’t know any recipes, we suggest that you simply search online for the best one, but if you want to try some that we liked, then here is a short list that we found very delicious. The best thing about all the recipes that you will find is that they all require this honeydew melon and it will mean that you will be creating a very healthy dish that will benefit your health, especially if you have weight issues.
- Drunken Melon Balls
- Green-Tomato and Honeydew Melon Salad
- Melon Madness Popsicles
- Three Melon Mozzarella Salad
Fun Honeydew Melon Facts
- Honeydew melons have only 60 calories per cup, 70% of your vitamin C for the day, and include health benefits like preventing vision problems, cardiovascular diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, and cancer.
- The high water content, low calorie count, and sweet taste also makes the honeydew melon and excellent choice for a snack or dessert for people who are trying to lose weight (or for anyone, for that matter!)
- Honeydews are also known as Temptation Melons. So maybe they would be a good dessert for a date night.
- Honeydews are the sweetest of all melons when ripe, so make sure it’s ripe before you eat it!
- Christopher Columbus brought over the first melon seeds to North America on his second expedition. We thank you, Christopher Columbus.
What is your favorite way to eat honeydew melons?