Makes 6 servings, about 1 cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 3-7 hours
- 1 lb. Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Medium Red Pepper, chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 1 (28 oz.) Can Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 1 C Water
- 1 Garlic Clove or 1 t Minced Garlic
- 2 T Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 T Chili Powder
- 1 T Ground Cumin
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1/2 t Dried Oregano
- Reduced-Fat Sour Cream (optional)
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 C Self-Rising Cornmeal Mix
- 1/2 C Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Jalapeño, minced and seeded
- 1 T Canola Oil
- 1 Large Egg
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and add the ground beef. Cook until brown, then drain the fat and add to the crock pot.
- Add the rest of the chili ingredients to the crock pot, except the optional items. Heat on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
- About 45 minutes before dinner time, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Mix the wet corn bread ingredients until well-blended, then add the cornmeal mix.
- Coat 12 mini muffin molds with cooking spray and pour in batter.
- Bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Serve warm with chili and optional sour cream and cilantro.
Chili: 210 calories, 7g fat, 68mg cholesterol, 685mg sodium, 18g carbs, 2g fiber, 6g sugar, 25g protein
Corn Bread (serving size=2 mini muffins): 115 calories, 2g fat, 35mg cholesterol, 302mg sodium, 18g carbs, 1g fiber, 2g sugar, 5g protein
I adapted the above recipe from Cooking Light: Fresh Food Fast. It’s probably the only real cookbook I use outside of online recipes. Outside of pizza night, Mattox requests chili every week but I told him summertime wasn’t really the best time for chili. But now, it’s chilly so that means it’s time for chili! The chocolate chips might seem a little strange, but trust me on this one! If you have ever had mole at a Mexican restaurant, you know how good it can be. You can also make this without the crock pot by simmering the chili ingredients for about 7-11 minutes in a covered pot.